This evening after eating dinner with my husband and 19 year old daughter and watched a little television with them after I decided to watch a film that I planned to review afterwards. I chose a film that I knew my daughter would have no choice but listen to as she did the dishes instead of her normal belting out whatever music she decides to listen to on her SHOKZ headphones attached to her Spotify account or YouTube. I chose the 2006 film The Devil Wears Prada. At least, I knew I'd be safe until Andy has her makeover by Nigel with all the outfits being displayed with Madonna's Vogue playing in the background. And its perfect anyways because I enjoy the film very much because it comes from a book by Lauren Weisberger, who was once a personal assistant for the legendary editor of Vogue Anna Wintour. It is said that the character of Miranda Priestly is based on Anna Wintour.
There was a certain amount of apprehension upon taking on a task of putting the legendary Vogue editor in a negative light. The script was revised several times for toning down Miranda's meanness and then back again for genuineness. Once Meryl Streep agreed to play Miranda, it was decided to keep Miranda true to her original character from the book.
And yes, that is a grey Prada handbag that Meryl insisted on using as an introduction to her character being truly the devil that wears Prada. In some respects, Meryl has said that she didn't enjoy playing someone so superior, but that doesn't mean she didn't take her job seriously. One particular scene she spent a great amount of time on was 'the cerulean sweater speech'. Meryl wanted to make the point that the scene isn't about being mean to Anne Hathaway's character Andy Sachs, it's about teaching Andy about the trickle down effect of marketing and fashion as a business. Andy in her naivete, just thinks that Miranda is being mean on purpose. But later realizes that Miranda is exactly the most responsible person in fashion today and respects her as such, although she knows she could never make the decisions that Miranda makes daily.
You know, while researching this film I found one of those articles that points out what you might've missed in a film. I found a point that I wanted to share. Because I a huge fan of the written word, the part in the film when Andy has to get a copy of the unpublished manuscript of the seventh Harry Potter book for Miranda's girls headed up to grandma's house on the train latter on in the day. Just how plausible is this? Well, Joanne Rowling's final book in the Harry Potter series was very well guarded, indeed. Barnes & Noble had the books guarded in a warehouse in an undisclosed location under 24/7 human guard. In England, the pallets the boxes of the books were placed on had alarms and the trucks transporting the books had satellite tracking systems. Despite all this, a copy did make it onto the internet four days before it's scheduled release date. So I guess it is possible.

No comments:
Post a Comment