My next review comes from a four year old film Spencer Confidential. I happen to think that ever since the 1990's, whatever Mark Wahlberg touches seems to turn to gold. That's not because I am a woman, because he's married and I'm married and he has more kids than I have fingers and toes. I call it an acting crush. I enjoy the stories he tells and how he does it. Maybe its because he placed this film in his beloved Boston, or maybe its because this is a remake of the '80's TV show Spencer For Hire.
Spencer, played by Mark Wahlberg, is an ex-cop that gets incarcerated for assaulting his supervising officer Captain Boylan. Being put in general population as a former police officer made him very popular.
Spencer gets out of prison on the very day that Captain Boylan is killed and is questioned about it. Spencer isn't arrested for the murder but another cop that Spencer remembers as being a a good, honest cop is murdered and is identified as being Boylan's killer. Spencer is suspicious and talks to officer Graham's widow.
The people helping Spencer are his friend Henry Cimoli (Alan Arkin), new roomate Hawk (Winston Duke), and ex-girlfriend Cissy(Iliza Shliesinger). Working against Spencer is his former partner Driscol(Bokeem Woodbine) and former cellmate Squeeb (Post Malone).
Spencer finds out that the killings are a cover -up for a police drug smuggling operation being used to fund a casino at a former dog racing track called Wonderland. And its being led by his former partner Driscol.
There's a lot of fist fighting and a lot of language. Naturally, because its Boston. But its still good fun and a good action film for those who like that type of stuff.



No comments:
Post a Comment